Holiday by the Sea
Reasons Why A Holiday by the Mediterranean Seaside is Good for Your Health!
Proximity to the Mediterranean seaside can have a positive impact on your health: the closer you are to the sea, the better you feel. In fact, doctors have been prescribing curative trips to the shore from as early as the 18th century, and recent studies suggest the link between the seaside and health is a scientific fact.
Not only does the Mediterranean seaside promote good physical health, there’s much to be said for how it improves your mental wellbeing too. A week in Spain’s Costa Calida with Pilates and Yoga could be just what the doctor ordered!
Here are 7 Reasons why you should plan your next holiday near the Mediterranean seaside:
Physical Health Benefits:
1. The seaside encourages physical activity, even if it’s simply a walk on the beach. Walking on the beach provides considerably more exercise than walking on a flatter surface, like lawn. This is because your body is constantly counter-balancing the uneven surface of the sand, effectively working your calves, thighs, and gluteal muscles, without you even realising it and your feet benefit from the natural exfoliation from beach sand.
Swimming in the sea gives you a full body workout, improves circulation, and increases your immune system function. Studies have shown that the vitamins, minerals, and amino acids in seawater produce antibiotic and antibacterial effects that promote immunity. Furthermore, swimming in warm seawater activates the body’s healing mechanisms to fight conditions such as asthma, rheumatoid arthritis and osteoarthritis, bronchitis and inflammatory diseases, as well as common aches and pains.
2. The seaside is good for your skin too. Scientists have claimed that the magnesium in seawater increases skin’s elasticity, hydrates it, and improves its appearance. Salt and potassium chloride, which are naturally found in seawater, are great healers. And, a certain amount of sun can be good for some skin complaints such as psoriasis. This is because a small amount of ultra violet radiation from the sun’s rays helps dry the skin and promotes healing. Sunshine is a a great source of Vitamin D too.
3. Sea air has health benefits too. The negative ions in sea air accelerate your ability to absorb oxygen, and balance your serotonin levels, a body chemical linked with mood and stress. Which is why you feel more alert, relaxed and energised after a seaside holiday
Mental Health Benefits:
4. Being near to the sea greatly affects mental wellbeing. As you sit on the beach listening to the roar of the waves, feeling the sea breeze blow through your hair and enjoy the warmth of the sun on your skin, you feel wonderful. This seaside buzz is known as “thalassotherapy”, a term coined by Hippocrates. Researchers have found that the sound of waves alters brain patterns, which lulls you into a deeply relaxed state and rejuvenates body and mind
5. The rhythmic sound of the waves pounding the shore enables a meditative state. The benefits of meditation are far reaching: stress reduction, deep relaxation, increased happiness, improved peace of mind, spontaneity and heightened creativity.
6. Sunlight. The heat of the sun is working away at your endocrine system, enabling it to secrete endorphins – the body’s feel-good chemicals. The salt in seawater also aids your mental wellbeing by preserving the melatonin, tryptamine and serotonin levels in your brain, which fight off depression.
7. Mediterranean Seaside holidays promote healthy eating too, which in turn affects your state of mind. Scientists have discovered that people who eat fish regularly are less likely to suffer from depression. A marine diet is packed with omega-3 fatty acids, essential fatty acids that promote brain cell growth. Restaurants and markets offer locally sourced fish, fruit and vegetables. Oh…and maybe some local wine too!
How many more reasons do you need to join us in Spain for our Pilates and Yoga Retreats with a difference?
Click here for more information and to receive updates: http://www.costacalidaspanish.com